14th September 2017
Job Role: CAP-AI Project Manager
Location: IDEALondon, 69 Wilson Street, London, EC2A 2BB
Capital Enterprise is the membership body for providers of enterprise support services in London. We exist to support entrepreneurs and businesses in London. We are a not-for profit organisation owned by, and run for the benefit of, members. Capital Enterprise and its members provide a wide range of support services including advice, training, mentoring, accelerator programmes, specialist technical expertise, networking, soft loan finance and incubator accommodation to both pre-start and trading entrepreneurs and small businesses in all 33 London Boroughs. Capital Enterprise is funded through members subscriptions, third party sponsorship and by income received from public/private sector partners to develop, pilot and manage innovative programmes that support enterprises and entrepreneurs in London.
CAP AI Project Summary
CAP-AI will be led by Capital Enterprise and delivered in partnership with Digital Catapult and Bart’s Health Trust and in collaboration with London’s leading universities. The Alan Turing Institute and TechCity UK are strategic partners and members of the Advisory Group. It is part funded through the European Regional Development Fund.
The overall aim of the project is to help AI and Machine learning start ups to access the technical expertise, data and computation power, knowledge and innovation they need to survive and scale.
There are 2 interlinked areas of activity:
- Knowledge exchange brokerage to enable start ups to tap into specialist AI and Machine Learning knowledge, research and talent coming out of London’s universities
- Innovation brokerage to enable start ups to access high performance computing power and data through a Machine Learning Computation Lab and to engage in ‘data study groups’ bringing together corporates, industry, academics and start ups.
The project kicks off in July 2017 and runs until June 2020
Capital Enterprise is looking to appoint a Project Manager to deliver and run the programme in line with its time, budget and quality requirements. They will be accountable to Capital Enterprise’s CFAO and have managerial responsibility for the CAP-AI Innovation and Knowledge Exchange Broker (to be appointed).
They will work as part of a small and friendly team, building a network of contacts and colleagues across a range of partner organisations and institutions. This is a fantastic opportunity to lead and manage a high profile activity supporting our ambitious plans to grow AI and Machine Learning activity across London.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Project Setup and Project Management
- Develop and deliver against a detailed project work plan with clear information on activity and output milestones and roles and responsibilities;
- Propose and agree timetables of key tasks (data to be collected, editing and preparation of datasets, the production of reports) with the CAP AI Project Team;
- Develop all the necessary forms, reporting templates required for claims and delivery of the project effectively and fully compliant to the funding rules;
- Monitor timetables, communication with delivery partners and collaborators about activities and timelines, renegotiate timelines and responsibilities where appropriate, and report back to the CAP AI Project Team on responses and the implications of any delays or problems arising from implementation;
- Monitor project progress against output and activity milestones;
- Manage and maintain contacts with external collaborators and users to ensure that records of activities and outputs are up to date;
- Manage the day-to-day relationships with the GLA / DCLG and act as the main point of contact;
- Ensure all procurement related activities are fully compliant with funding rules and avoiding any potential future repercussions;
- Develop and keep updated a project operations handbook which captures all the essential elements of the project for members of staff and contractors working on the project;
- Set project objectives for the project members of staff and contractors and provide advice and support to the project team to achieve targets;
- Lead in the production and provision of data to the CAP AI Project Board;
- Line manage project staff.
Project Financial Management:
- Monitor the overall spend and ensure operations are within agreed budget;
- Provide monthly reports to the Project team;
- Control project spend. Monitor expenditure/costs against progress. Identify and reporting variances against agreed budget and re-forecasting where necessary;
- Create accurate and timely reporting of the financial status and progress of the project at quarterly intervals Oversee the creation of the quarterly Claim process for all project partners;
- Manage the creation and payment of project invoices and salary payments;
- Update of company financial management system on a monthly bases
- Manage all HR of CAP AI members of staff including, recruitment and annual / sick leave management and payroll
- Minimum of Undergraduate Degree or equivalent;
- Proven project management expertise and experience;
- Strong organisational experience and capabilities, with the ability to establish and manage information;
- Sound financial management skills, ideally with experience of budget management;
- A high level of oral and written communication and numeracy;
- Ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision and to prioritise own workload;
- Excellent use of all Microsoft Office-suite programmes and the internet;
- Tact and discretion in the handling of highly confidential and sensitive information;
- A high level of accuracy and consistent attention to detail;
- Proven flexibility and an ability to prioritise a busy workload – we are a small organisation and operate as a team. While the role and key responsibilities are as described here, new areas of work may emerge related to the project;
- Ability to successfully manage a variety of tasks to deadline and to work calmly under pressure;
- Excellent inter personal skills with an ability to establish and build working relationships with a range of individuals from different backgrounds and organisations
- Project Management experience within a European Funded Project (preferably European Regional Development Fund)
- Experience or interest in working with AI and Machine Learning start ups.
- Willingness to act as the face of the project by giving presentations / talks to a range of audiences;
- Experience of working in Tech / SME facing support organisations.
Salary will be £43,000 depending on experience
Salary will be paid in 12 monthly installments
Appointments are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a probationary period of 9 months.
Hours of Work
Full time hours average 40 hours per week
Annual leave is 20 working days for a full time member of staff in addition to Bank Holidays per year.
Please send a CV, accompanied by a covering letter, setting out your interest in this post, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Wednesday 29th of September.
Please also provide the names of 2 referees. References will not be taken prior to interview.
Interviews will be held during the last week in August in central London.
The start date is as soon as possible after that.