Job Role: Data Science Intern
Location: WeWork, 70 Wilson Street, London, EC2A 2BB
Role: Capital Enterprise is looking to recruit a Data Science Intern to support some work mapping London’s business support landscape.
Duration: This role will last for 10 weeks from mid-June to end August (ideally 17 June to 23 August with some flexibility).
We are London’s start-up experts, connecting and energising a world-class entrepreneurship ecosystem. We are a body of connectors, influencers, investors and policy-makers, collaborating to super-charge London’s start-up scene. We exist to support entrepreneurs and businesses in London. We are mission-driven and a not-for profit organisation owned by, and run for the benefit of, members.
Capital Enterprise and its members provide a wide range of support services including advice, training, mentoring, accelerator programmes, specialist technical expertise, networking, soft loan finance and incubator accommodation to both prestart and trading entrepreneurs and small businesses in all 33 London Boroughs.
Capital Enterprise is funded through members subscriptions, third party sponsorship and by income received from public/private sector partners to develop, pilot and manage innovative programmes that support enterprises and entrepreneurs in London.
Business Support Mapping Research – Summary
The Greater London Authority (GLA), on behalf of the London Economic Action Partnership (LEAP) has appointed Capital enterprise to undertake a desk-based business support mapping research. The work will map existing business support provision, verify data currently held on the growth hub web portal (www.growthhub.london), analyse sectoral and geographical reach and identify gaps / challenges in provision. It will inform the roll out of the LEAP’s face to face business support provision which will be delivered through a ‘hub and spoke’ model from Autumn 2019.
More information is available in the original GLA research specification and Capital Enterprise’s proposal, which are available upon request.
They will be accountable to Capital Enterprise’s Deputy CEO and will work as part of a small and friendly team, building a network of contacts and colleagues across a range of partner organisations and institutions. This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in a high-profile activity supporting our ambitious plans to champion London’s start-up ecosystem.
About the position: Capital Enterprise is seeking an exceptional data scientist to join the team to deliver data collection and mapping. You will be part of a team to map the SME support ecosystem in London. This position is crucial in setting up systems to collecting existing data analyse gaps and ensure we have a robust up to date database of all SME support in London currently.
- Work with the research and mapping project team – leading on all data tasks
- Set up automated systems to collect data on business support provision across London e.g. access to finance, networking events, sector specific activity, support key to London’s small businesses i.e. (retail and hospitality, construction….), offers provided by London’s Local Authorities, what support exists for social enterprises and cooperatives.
- Create an accurate and up to date database of current SME support providers and schemes in London that is searchable and filterable by specifics. E.g. Location (by borough/sub region) by business stage (pre-starts, start-ups, established businesses and growth scale-up/growth businesses, social enterprises) by support type, by provider type etc
- Automate, collect and review new data streams
- Review and analyse the data to identify reach and gaps
- Create a visual platform to view the data in useful and engaging ways.
- Support in report creation, including outputs for the project to the GLA
- Additional data visualization tasks
- Attend all events organised by the team to assist with research delivery. This may include events outside normal working hours
- Data entry and ensuring the existing data in the database is accurate
- Undertake other tasks as appropriate as directed by the project team
Experience / skills
The successful candidate will have (some of) the following skills and experience:
- Python 3: Pandas, SciPy, NumPy, Dash, Plotly, Matplotlib, RabbitMQ, Celery, Flask
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Kubernetes & Docker on Google Cloud
- high level of accuracy and consistent attention to detail in all research tasks
- high level of oral and written communication and numeracy
- understanding of the importance of accurate data in policy development
- able to on own initiative, with minimal supervision and able to prioritise own workload
- tactful, professional and discrete in the handling of highly confidential and sensitive information
- prompt, efficient and personable at all times
- flexible and able to prioritise a busy workload
- able to successfully manage a variety of tasks to deadline and to work calmly under pressure
- able to communicate well with people and develop effective working relationships within a small team
- Data visualization
- Design skills
Salary and working hours
Salary will be London Living Wage at £10.55 per hour, payable monthly based on 35 hours per week
Working hours are flexible but normally Capital Enterprise staff choose to work 09:00 to 17:00 or 10:00 to 18:00 with 1 hour for lunch.
This will be agreed with the Deputy CEO at the outset and reviewed after 2 weeks.
Hours of Work
Full time hours average 35 hours per week
How to Apply
To apply please send a CV and a Cover Letter to email@example.com before 12 noon Wednesday 5th June 2019. Interviews will be held later that week.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.