Job Role: ‘Diversity in Tech’ Project Officer
Role: Capital Enterprise is looking to recruit a Project Officer to support the Diversity in Tech initiative. You will be tasked to assist with the day-to-day running of the project and work closely with the Project Manager and Project Director (project team) to make sure the project runs smoothly.
Duration: This role will last for 2 years
We are London’s start-up experts, connecting and energising a world-class entrepreneurship ecosystem. We are a body of connectors, influencers, investors and policy-makers, collaborating to super-charge London’s start-up scene. We exist to support entrepreneurs and businesses in London. We are mission-driven and a not-for profit organisation owned by, and run for the benefit of, members.
Capital Enterprise and its members provide a wide range of support services including advice, training, mentoring, accelerator programmes, specialist technical expertise, networking, soft loan finance and incubator accommodation to both prestart and trading entrepreneurs and small businesses in all 33 London Boroughs.
Capital Enterprise is funded through members subscriptions, third party sponsorship and by income received from public/private sector partners to develop, pilot and manage innovative programmes that support enterprises and entrepreneurs in London.
Diversity in Tech Summary
We want to create a movement to increase diversity in Tech and Digital start-ups by making start up support accessible to promising local founders.
This will be achieved by:
- Expanding the recruitment networks of, and reducing bias within, pre-accelerator, accelerator and investment readiness programmes through extensive outreach and engagement activity with minority communities
- Resourcing reserved places for founders from disadvantaged backgrounds (from the target boroughs) on pre-accelerator, accelerators and ’investment readiness’ programmes
- Using an ‘inspiration capital’ campaign to showcase the successful founders of BAME and female tech start-ups to the wider community,
- Developing and delivering a new ‘pay it forward’ mentor programme that will match “first time founders” with experienced founders and ex-entrepreneurs
- Researching – with both the investment community and with start-ups – how to address the unconscious bias in investment and what new approaches could be developed to help minority entrepreneurs access finance to build scalable businesses.
- Working with organisations like Diversity VC to commit investors in London to providing better access for BAME and female founders to investment
The project kicked off in June 2018 and, at least initially, runs until June 2020. Capital Enterprise is looking to appoint a Project Officer to support the project team to deliver and run the programme in line with its time, budget and quality requirements.
They will be accountable to Capital Enterprise’s CFAO and will work as part of a small and friendly team, building a network of contacts and colleagues across a range of partner organisations and institutions. This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in a high profile activity supporting our ambitious plans to increase diversity in London’s start-up ecosystem.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of the project together with the project team
- Filing project records
- Assist with reports on outputs for the project
- Responsible for database management, e.g. input new and update existing data on the customer relationship management database
- To assist the project team with all communication through clear verbal and written correspondence with delivery partners, service providers, staff, contractors and SMEs.
- Arrange meetings, meeting rooms & catering as required
- To undertake administrative tasks involved in all aspects of events organisation, including booking speakers and liaising to ensure their requirements are met, the booking of rooms, ordering of catering, production of delegate packs and name badges etc.
- Assist the Project Manger in creating the six monthly progress and activity reports
- To assist with event related travel and accommodation arrangements
- Manage the registration process for events using our online Events Management system and provide basic reports
- Attend all events organised by the team to assist with event delivery. This will include events outside normal working hours
- Data entry and ensuring the existing data in the database is accurate
- To undertake other tasks as appropriate as directed by the project team
- Applicants must have a minimum of Undergraduate Degree or equivalent
- A high level of oral and written communication and numeracy is required
- Ability work on own initiative, with minimal supervision and able to priorities own workload
- Excellent use of all Microsoft Office-suite programmes and the internet
- Tact and discretion in the handling of highly confidential and sensitive information
- A high level of accuracy and consistent attention to detail
- Proven flexibility and an ability to priorities a busy workload
- Ability to successfully manage a variety of tasks to deadline and to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to communicate well with people and develop effective working relationships
- Experience of event coordination and/or marketing and communications
- Experience of project administration and support
- Commitment to diversity
Salary will be £23,000 – £25,000 depending on experience
Salary will be paid in 12 monthly installments
Appointments are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a probationary period of 9 months.
Hours of Work
Full time hours average 40 hours per week
Annual leave is 20 working days for a full time member of staff in addition to Bank Holidays per year
How to Apply
To apply for the vacancy send a CV and a cover letter to Lizzy@capitalenterprise.org
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 25th July 2018 and interviews will be held on Thursday 2nd August 2018.